Eliminate the Ache and Pain while Traveling
Even though our team of health providers cannot accompany you while you travel, we can send helpful advice with you to reduce your chances of ending up with a pain or ache that will affect your travel enjoyment. Regardless of your mode of transportation, if you are to be seated for an extended time period, try to walk around for five to 10 minutes before your departure and then do the same after your arrival.
Tips for Traveling By Air
If you are traveling by air, keep in mind these tips from the staff at Gulf Coast Injury Center:
- Keep posture in check by placing a pillow or folded up blanket behind your lower back and neck. If possible, place your feet on an elevated surface such as a piece of luggage or footrest.
- Stand up every 30 to 60 minutes if possible or walk around the cabin to increase circulation.
- While seated, vary the position of your arms and legs. Perform ankle rotations or point and flex your feet to keep the blood moving throughout your legs. Stretch your arms and neck while you breathe deep.
- Use both arms to lift bags into overhead bins or when sliding bags underneath your seat to avoid back and leg strain.
Tips for Traveling By Car
If you are traveling by car, use the following tips from our chiropractor in Tampa, Riverview & Holiday:
- Position your seat so you are close to the wheel and do not have to lean forward to reach it. Your knees should be a little higher than your hips.
- Use a small pillow behind your back to main the proper curve of your spine. Look straight ahead and keep your chin parallel with the ground, but also change your focal point to avoid eye strain.
- Set cruise control when possible and take that time to spread your toes, rotate your ankles and contract and release your lower-body muscles.
- Hold tight, but relaxed on the steering wheel and vary your hand positions to ease shoulder tension.
Get In Touch With Our Local Chiropractor Today
Chiropractic adjustments prior to and after travel also help to keep you pain free. Schedule your appointment with us today by calling Gulf Coast Injury Center at 813-258-6051.